17 June 2007

The Office Al Fresco


Okay, for those of you who think I'm kidding, here is my current office.

It's actually on the site where we'll be building, but it will be about 4 feet deeper than it is here. Actually I'm glad to have this spot staked out like this. It gives me a good feel for the space, the way the light moves through the day, and of course a sense of the temperature throughout the day in the summer as well. It does get toasty - uncomfortably so for about 2 hours in the late afternoon when it's above 94 F. (34.4 c) But, I have a power cord running out there from the house and an oscillating fan - which makes a big big difference. I can also plug in the computer, the wireless works well out there, take my cordless office phone out, and I'm good to go! Seriously, it's been great for working.

Also, I've put down an Azeri carpet to make it a bit nicer (beats sitting on plastic) and I've noticed something really interesting - when I sit on the ground to work all day (I use the chair some, but find myself on the ground more and more) after a hard days work, I'm not sore. Rather, I feel pretty good. Like an all day yoga class. The stiffness from sitting in a chair all day is gone. I think I'm going to have to figure out how to keep doing this once the building it built.

If you are wondering, yes, it's fine in the rain, the top tarp keeps things covered well, and every night I role up the carpet, pack it, the fan and the folding chair into that grey garden box and everything is stowed until I'm back.

Bugs? Yes, since we've has some rain, the mosquito situation is more of a problem. I'm looking for a natural bug repellent. I'd like to avoid using DEET if possible. Suggestions?

I guess this is the lowest tech, lowest impact office I could have. I'd stick with is, except that eventually, I'd like it to be a bit more climate controlled, and secured. I'll scan in my sketches in a bit, and share them too...

Also, I'm planning on keeping a very detailed accounting of the cost of this project, to compare with "similar" projects, including energy savings long term.

Thanks for reading, and keep your input coming!

Very best,
Mary
Posted by Picasa

No comments: