01 August 2008

Progress... bit by bit... by bit... all Wabi-Sabi


Another brutally hot day today - heat index of 106 , but it work in the office was comfortable with a fan and the shade.

James worked on the ceiling. Impressive multi-limb talents were on display.


I, on the other hand, put up 3 bags of stucco. Not a whole lot, but I'm working on it. And honestly, I'm sore after that much.

This was the first bit:

This shelf is here for me to put my computer and other stuff on as I climb into the loft. It's just something I decided I needed to optimize my loft usage. 
I left on of the braces exposed. I sort of like it that way. The wood is pretty. 

The shelf and the one across from it were the second bag. . . 
The third - with scaffolding, did me in. It's getting there, but it's taking a while. Still, I'm having fun. 

Thanks to our neighbor, local school principal, and friend, Dr. Schmitt, we have a new term for the design style for this wonderful undertaking. It's wabi-sabiThe aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete" . . . Characteristics of the wabi-sabi aesthetic include asymmetry, asperity, simplicity, modesty, intimacy, and suggest a natural process.



I LOVE IT!!

More to come. . . stay tuned!!

No comments: